Deirmimas is the home of 130,000 olive trees & 6,000 inhabitants. It is located 88 km South-East of Beirut, and 1 km from the Lebanon-Israel border in the Caza of Marjeyoun. Like the olives, this village and its people survived many invasions, wars, destruction and the long Israeli occupation, which lasted from 1976 until 2000. The outward-bound people of Deirmimas have sustained an enduring attachment to their land and an unwavering desire to revive and revitalize their village, even though their travels have taken them as far from home as America, Arabia and Australia.
The current Municipal Council was formed in 2004. Since then, the Municipality has carried out many projects. These projects include:
- Digging of a well to improve the quality of water.
- Rehabilitation of roads and public spaces, such as the main village square and bringing back stone pavements to a large number of streets in the village center.
- The establishment of Deirmimas Dispensary to offer medical treatment to the people of Deirmimas and neighbouring villages.
- The installation of electrical generator including a fully-fledged network of wires and switches to provide the majority of houses with electricity.
- The establishment of 1) the Senior Citizens Social Club, whose aim is to bring together senior citizens for social activities, 2) an Internet Club that provides users with a free Wi-Fi zone.
- Supporting social groups such as the Women’s Committee of Deirmimas by providing financial aids to their various activities and promoting their participation in local and regional food fairs.
- Organizing social celebrations such as the September Festival of St. Mema, Christmas reunion for children, Mother’s Day, St. Barbara’s carnival, also planning trips for the elderly and the young during summer holidays.
- The establishment of the Dubai Fund for Deirmimas with the help of expatriates in Dubai.
- The adjustment of the playground at the Latin Church and its convert into a Sports Court which accommodates different games including soccer.
- Most recently, the installation of a new Water Supply Network as well as a Reservoir in Ksara (Ezziyeh). New pipes supplies water to all homes in Deirmimas.
Our work is driven by our dedication to Deirmimas and we hope that we have been transparent, fair and efficient despite the scarce resources. We will always strive to uphold the trust of the people of Deirmimas and thank them for their continued support and appreciation.
:: DEIRMIMAS MUNICIPALITY ::